Who We Are
Founded in 1981 by Betsy Ann Plank, APR, Fellow PRSA, the Champions for PRSSA (formerly called Friends of PRSSA) bring together those who have special, ongoing interest in PRSSA, its student members and public relations education.
Designed to reinforce strong and productive relationships between professionals and students, the Champions are primarily PRSA members that wish to give back to the profession through support of PRSSA. Their annual contributions are used to fund activities and promotions, which would not be available with the limited budgets of Chapters and members.
The Work of the Champions
The Champions sponsor several award programs that honor exceptional Chapters, Advisers and students.
- Teahan Awards – This program provides approximately $4,500 in awards to PRSSA Chapters for a variety of programs (newsletters, service initiatives, etc.), and to excellent Chapter Advisers and PRSA sponsor Chapters.
- Altschul Outstanding Internship Award – A student who has completed an outstanding internship receives $300 and the internship provider receives national recognition.
- Encourage Membership – Champions strongly encourage graduating PRSSA members to become PRSA Associate Members and co-sponsor, with PRSA, the first two years of professional membership for past members of the PRSSA National Committee.
- Mentors and Speakers – Champions often serve as speakers for various National- and Chapter-level student events. PRSSA Chapters are also invited to contact Champions for mentoring and counsel.
Benefits of Being a Champion
The greatest benefit of being a Champion is knowing you have helped support students, Chapters and advisers that are striving for excellence; however, Champions also receive the following benefits:
- Champions Newsletters – Sent from the co-chairs, the newsletters provide you news about Champion and PRSSA accomplishments.
- Conference Reception – At the PRSA International Conference, Champions are invited to meet with PRSSA leadership.
In addition, Champions benefit from the outstanding students who will soon become their PRSA colleagues. Demonstrating the student Society’s leadership promise are PRSSA alumni who now serve on the PRSA Board of Directors, national committees and as PRSA Chapter officers.
Become a Champion
Champions currently pay an annual contribution of $50, and every dollar is used for the support of PRSSA. Becoming a Champion is simple: Make your $50 tax-deductible contribution payable by check or credit card to the PRSA Foundation.
- Download the enrollment form
- Send the form to Champions for PRSSA, The Public Relations Society of America, Inc., 120 Wall Street, 21st Fl., New York, NY 10005-4024, email to Jeneen.Garcia@PRSA.org or fax to (212) 995-0757.
Co-chaired by Aerial Ellis, Ed.D.; Gary McCormick, APR, Fellow PRSA; and Brian Price, the Champions supplement the work of PRSA and PRSSA Advisers. They have the enthusiastic support of PRSA and PRSSA leaders, who encourage strong and productive relationships between professionals and the next generation that will shape the future of public relations.