Who We Are
Founded in 1981 by Betsy Ann Plank, APR, Fellow PRSA, the Champions for PRSSA (formerly called Friends of PRSSA) bring together those who have special, ongoing interest in PRSSA, its student members and public relations education.
Designed to reinforce strong and productive relationships between professionals and students, the Champions are primarily PRSA members that wish to give back to the profession through support of PRSSA. Their annual contributions are used to fund activities and promotions, which would not be available with the limited budgets of Chapters and members.
The Work of the Champions
The Champions sponsor several award programs that honor exceptional Chapters, Advisers and students.
- Teahan Awards – This program provides approximately $4,500 in awards to PRSSA Chapters for a variety of programs (newsletters, service initiatives, etc.), and to excellent Chapter Advisers and PRSA sponsor Chapters.
- Altschul Outstanding Internship Award – A student who has completed an outstanding internship receives $300 and the internship provider receives national recognition.
- Betsy Plank/PRSSA Scholarships – These scholarships honors three outstanding public relations juniors and seniors for their academic achievements, demonstrated leadership, practical experience and their commitment to public relations.
- Encourage Membership – Champions strongly encourage graduating PRSSA members to become PRSA Associate Members and co-sponsor, with PRSA, the first two years of professional membership for past members of the PRSSA National Committee.
- Mentors and Speakers – Champions often serve as speakers for various National- and Chapter-level student events. PRSSA Chapters are also invited to contact Champions for mentoring and counsel.
Benefits of Being a Champion
The greatest benefit of being a Champion is knowing you have helped support students, Chapters and advisers that are striving for excellence; however, Champions also receive the following benefits:
- Champions Newsletters – Sent from the co-chairs, the newsletters provide you news about Champion and PRSSA accomplishments.
- Champions for PRSSA Breakfast – At PRSA ICON, Champions are invited to meet with PRSSA members.
- To sponsor a table click here.
In addition, Champions benefit from the outstanding students who will soon become their PRSA colleagues. Demonstrating the student Society’s leadership promise are PRSSA alumni who now serve on the PRSA Board of Directors, committees and as PRSA Chapter officers.
Become a Champion
The annual tax-deductible contribution from each Champion is $55, and every dollar is used to support PRSSA. Renewing your Champion membership or becoming a Champion is simple, just follow the steps below.
- Current Champions:
- New Champions:
Co-chaired by Gary McCormick, APR, Fellow PRSA and Gina Laughlin the Champions supplement the work of PRSA and PRSSA Advisers. They have the enthusiastic support of PRSA and PRSSA leaders, who encourage strong and productive relationships between professionals and the next generation that will shape the future of public relations.